TMJ/TMD Treatment – Topeka, KS
You Don’t Have to Live with Jaw Pain
If you place your finger right in front of your ear and open your mouth, you may feel the movement of the temporomandibular joint, or TMJ. This joint makes it possible for you to speak and chew, but if it becomes strained or injured, it can cause a lot of pain and can get in the way of the simplest oral tasks. Our team at Westport Dental can diagnose and treat different types of TMJ disorders, so give us a call if you’re looking for a way to escape jaw pain for good.
Why Choose Westport Dental for TMJ/TMD Treatment?
- Customized Occlusal Splint Therapy
- Safe, Efficient Occlusal Adjustments
- State-of-the-Art TENS Machine
Signs of TMJ/TMD
TMJ disorder can have different symptoms depending on the root cause and how severe it is. Common symptoms include:
- Persistent or recurring jaw pain
- Aching pain in or around your ear
- Facial pain
- A locked jaw
- Having trouble chewing certain foods
- A clicking sound or grating sensation when opening the mouth
We recommend calling our office for an appointment if you notice any of these symptoms; we can narrow down the possible causes and suggest appropriate treatments for your problem.
Treatment for TMJ/TMD
While the symptoms of TMJ disorder can sometimes go away on their own, more often than not you’ll need a professional’s help. There are a few different ways we can treat a TMJ disorder:
- Equilibration/Occlusal Adjustments: By reshaping your teeth so that they come together evenly, we can take some of the pressure off of your jaw joints.
- Occlusal Splints: An occlusal splint can adjust your lower jaw to keep it in a more comfortable position, allowing your TMJ to rest and recover.
- TENS Machine Treatment: A TENS machine uses low-frequency voltage electrical currents to relax the jaw muscles; it also blocks pain signals to your brain so that you no longer feel the discomfort from your TMJ disorder.